Sunday, September 23, 2012

Waiting For Godot: Blog Response #1

After I finished reading waiting for Godot, I found myself wandering about much, which I think is Becket's purpose with his Absurdist play. I found myself wandering about the characters, about why where they even waiting for Godot, and more than anything who was Godot. But later that evening I learned that Becket said on an interview that if he had known more about his characters he would have written it on the play. This makes me ask myself, How much can a writer actually know his own characters?

Even now I think that Becket left this gaps in the text in order for the reader to interpret whatever he said, in whichever way they wanted, which reminds me of something else he said on an interview "Why do people have to complicate everything?" And it made me analyze my way of thought as a reader, how much do we complicate what a writer says and why do we complicate it? Because words cant just be words, they must have a deeper meaning. Looking back at what I know about Becket I understand why he hates labels, because not only are they labeling him, but they are also labeling parts of his text as "Symbolism" or "Imagery", which limits the ability of the reader to just wonder without having to give the text an exact meaning.

Becket made a really extraordinary work on his "Waiting for Godot" he could have left and entire page BLANK and leave it without a conclusion and it would still be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment