Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Media: The Mind Manipulator


The Danger of a Single Story:

Plenty of times have I realized that people only receive through media a single story of the beautiful country in which I have the privilege to live in. Two of this have engraved themselves in my mind. 

The first happened the first time I traveled to Europe. I had the priviledge to go to France with the Colombian Ambassador in France, and he took us to an amusement park. His son was probably my age (I was 10 at the time) and we where in line for a roller coaster. We where talking in Spanish and two older men asked us where were we from, I proudly raised my head and answered Colombia  this men, who where probably 20 years old each gave us the finger and said that ours was a country plagued with terrible deaths and a thousand drug dealers. My dad told them to shut up and leave us kids alone, but I will never forget the hate in the mens voice.

The second time happened when I moved to Italy, my English had refined before that and I could fluently speak it with confidence and almost seem American. My first day at ISF, several teachers asked me to introduce myself: what is your name? how old are you? Where are you from? I answered them without trouble in the first couple of classes, but then when I got to my Math class and I answered them I heard the boy behind me ask, And where did you leave the Cocaine? I was furious and wanted to yell at him but instead I answered in a serious voice  In your Moms drawer. Soon enough people stopped talking about things they didnt understand and I learned a lot about different cultures.


Like the old saying Dont Judge a book by its cover ,  today we should encourage people to not only see the Media side of the story

No comments:

Post a Comment